Saturday, October 04, 2008

Graphic Design and font madness


Started teaching in a rural art college last week, taught there last term, it's a bit nuts, up at 5-6am 40 minute walk to train station, 45 minutes on the train and then 20 min walk to the college. Last year it's where I came up with must of the stand-up in my head walking to work with Lambchop on the ole ipod. It's weird being back, both staff and students seem suprised that I am back for another term, and it's earned me a certain amount of vague kudos among them. Being back for a second year means I'm more confident in trusting my own judgment in what to teach. Not being a graphic design practicioner (although did once get 85 in a graphic design module) I kind of feel out of place but I try to get the students enthusiastic about people like Chip Kidd and stuff like the Helvetica doucmentary. It's good as well to get to show some of my favorite designs and posters etc., like this one for The Birds





this baby of course, can't find examples on google right now but this two tone fecker and its clones was all over the shop a few years ago.




What's funny for me in all the Graphic Design books they don't go into the classic book covers, my that I mean the classic book covers, forwith:




and this:





No comments: