Saturday, September 20, 2008

Give it up for the Comic Cast lads....

Just a quick shout out to Craig O'Connor and Liam Geraghty the Comic Cast lads who have been providing me with late night audio to the recent blogging madness. (that hoovering up all these great Siskel and Ebert movie reviews, found when I did the Robocop post)


Promo shot for the comiccast that reminded me a bit of this.


I first heard of the Comic Cast via Bob Byrne's blog, where his post on their great show here. If you've never heard the Mack Daddy of Irish Comics Bob speak this a great hilarious interview full of great personal anecdotes and his usual/unusal for most monkeys opinions of the world of comics. I especially loved his stories of sending someone out to get the 'megazine' and they'd be like don't you mean magazine, and you'd be there no..the megazine, obviously for me these discussions were with family members and not the parade of Bob's lady friends.


A representative pic of Bob and I at the Birmingham Comic Show last year.
The lastest one is an amazing interview with Cliodhna Lyons as some readers may know as the organiser of Ireland's 24 Hour Comics day which I must get to soon. I stay up half night here scrawling dementing pictures and ranting so it might be nice to do it with other people.

Listening to this interview was the reason for the more sentimental parts of my Robocop post as her father died a few months before mine last year while working for Goal in Sri Lanka. She created The Goal Anthology entitled after her father's answering machine message: "sorry I can't take your call right now but I'm off saving the world"

There's also some great discussions of the current Irish and New York comic scenes both in terms of artists and the academic training structure and Brendan and the Secret of Kells, trailer here. I'm working my way through the other episodes but the lads have a very nice relaxed style and it really creates interesting stories from the guests and makes me nostalgic for wandering around the comic shops of Dublin when I used to live there.

Bob's Interview
Cliodhna's Interview


The Goal Anthology

No comments: