Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Derrida and Wittgenstein….together at last!

In this aimless sleep-deprived, one-day-runs-into-another world of academia it is good to have some sort of event to look forward to. This term, I had a sort of Friday feeling with my co-Friday teaching inmates such as (names barely disguised to protect the guilty) lol, the Mack, Dr. Pepper, K-Man, Fabes it’s a good chance after a day's teaching to bitch about our lowly associate tutor status and basically geek out. We’d see each other in the corridors during coffee breaks and generally muck about by the photocopiers, hey we get fun where we can, and then head off to the bar. With Fabes and I, it always turns to obscure comics, and his knowledge far outstrips mine. We were discussing a recent doppelganger of his we both knew. All assumed Fabes would have issue with someone who looked vaguely like him, as he has enough issues with those that don't look like him. In a surprising move, Fabes actually quite likes this guy. Fabes is leaving the bleak plains or Noorwich for somewhere much more exciting. I imagined this new guy taking over his geek-talk role in my Fridays, but it would have to involve me to calling round to this guy's house with armfuls of Quasar and Secret Wars to get him up to speed.

Anyway, this guy* was doing a PhD on Derrida and Wittgenstein.

Dr. Pepper pipes up with: ‘Derrida and Wittgenstein: Together at Last!,
I add in the manner of a jaded action movie fan, which is what I am,
I thought they were dead after that warehouse explosion at the end of the last one, but I think they hid under a speed boat’.

Confusion ensued when I added I rented the Derrida DVD off Tesco.com but had not yet got round to watching it, who has?** I hear people saying things like ‘he has a haircut in it!’ like it’s going to be a highlight.. Pepper thought I meant Daredevil, inspiring the bizarre horror that would be Derridaredevil some sort of blind, French post-structuralist lawyer who rides Jennifer Garner. What I really wanted to do was to have the heads of Derrida and Wittgenstein photoshoped onto the bodies of Spider-man and Daredevil, but I have neither a mac nor, more importantly, the skills to do a good job of it, it will take me about a month or something and then I'll have to re-explain its relevance...poor yous, this pic of Lacan fighting in a computer game from somthing awful will have to do. Plus Malcom Baradbury's being doing this sort of stuff for years, does no one remember Mensonge?

*Sorry about this, there is a punchline coming--didn't really need that first paragraph. I could have just started with 'there. this guy see, and his doing a PhD on Derrida and Wittgenstein.....'
**He's in stiff competition with my other Tesco DVDs: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible and Hip Hop Honeys you'd need to raise your game Jackie D.

1 comment:

Caddy Powers Jr said...

Even as a photoshopped imposter I'd recognise that damn Megaman anywhere. The unfair ultra difficulty level of thse games still induces instense migranes to this day.

I may have to lie down now having been exposed to that childhood trauma.


As for superheroics / bad action movies involving philosphers. I'm all for it. Although I am the guy who tried to write Nietzsche and Nozick PI, so I could be biased.